Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Turkey Chili


I am not a big chili eater but my husband loves it and I was reading somewhere that one cup in a restaurant can have upwards of 600 calories. I decided to see if I could create one with alot less calories and have it be just as good. Well the result was a low calorie chili that he loved enough to eat three nights in a row (I am proud of myself). I made cornbread with honey butter and the meal was complete.

Turkey Chili
1 tsp veggie oil
1 large white onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, shredded or finely chopped
2 tsp of cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 TBL chili powder
2 bay leaves
2 lbs ground turkey
2 TBL tomato paste
1 oz bittersweet chocolate
1 can low sodium chicken broth
1 chipotle pepper, cut up small
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can chopped tomatoes with garlic
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
Heat oil in large pot on medium heat. Add onions and cook until tender, add garlic. Add spices and bay leaves and cook for 2 more minutes. It will seem like it is burning (it is not). Add turkey and tomato paste and cook until turkey is no longer pink. Stir with a wooden spoon. Add chocolate, broth, chipotle, & tomatoes to the pot. Turn down to low and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the beans and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with hot sauces, raw white onions, lime, cheese, sour cream if you desire.
Pin It

1 comment:

Amber said...

Sounds great! love the picture!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails