Monday, February 15, 2010

Shrimp "Tacos"

Hello everyone, I have been M.I.A lately and send my apologies but Amber has been on such a roll and her dishes look so great I thought I should keep my distance. I eat some type of fish for almost every meal and limit carbs, well except for every chocolate recipe I have to try that comes across these pages. It has been raining non-stop in Cali lately and today we had such a beautiful, crisp day that it just begged for me to light the bbq. I made these up in about 15 minutes (plus 15 for marinade), they are fresh, light and can be made indoors also.

1 Butter lettuce package (they make the perfect little cups for tacos)

Marinade
12 deveined shrimp per person (makes 3-4 tacos)
2 limes, zest and juiced
1 TBL Rice vinegar
1/2 orange juiced
1 TBL of honey (I used orange but any will work)
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
Place all ingredients in a large plastic zipper topped bag, place in refrigerator to marinade for no more than 30 minutes

Slaw
1 10 oz bag of Eat Smart California Slaw or any broccoli slaw bag (they sell these in the produce section of most grocery stores)
*** You can make your own but cutting up fresh broccoli, shredded red cabbage, and shredded carrots***
1/3 Cup Mayo (fat free works but leave out the sugar)
1/8 Cup sugar or 1-2 packs of sugar substitue (such as sweet n low or splenda)
2 TBL Red Wine Vinegar
1/8 cup chopped walnuts or sunflower seed kernels
1/4 cup raisins (I used dried cranberries)
Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix, set aside.

Cook:
Heat bbq or indoor grill to 350〫place shrimp in a thin layer on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, shrimp will turn pink and no longer be translucent inside. Do not overcook. Remove from grill to a plate, if necessary remove shell, legs, tail of shrimp and discard.

Assemble:
Take one leaf of lettuce, top with 1 large spoonful of slaw, top with 3-4 cooked shrimp, fold into a taco shape and take a bite. Serve with Sarachi sauce or Asian chili sauce if you like things spicy.

Pin It

3 comments:

Amber said...

They look great! Beautiful pic too!

Busymomsteph said...

This looks delicious. I left something for you on my blog, come by and check it out.

http://busymom-adventuresinmommyville.blogspot.com/2010/02/beautiful-blogger-award.html

Just Jenn said...

Those sound so yummy! ;) They will no doubt go on my one day list! ha ha~ maybe spring break! ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails