Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins

 
My kids LOVE muffins for breakfast(I do to)! I had the urge to make some blueberry muffins today. I don't have a go to blueberry muffin recipe. A blueberry muffin with oats in them sounded yummy so I grabbed my Taste of Home Quick Cooking cookbook and sure enough, there was on in there. We all loved these little muffins. I must add a disclaimer though...I don't really care for overly sweet blueberry muffins, you know, like the ones you find in the bakery section at the store, covered in 1lb of sugar each? My husband on the other hand loves those kinds of muffins. I like more of a simple and sweet muffin packed with blueberries. These, to me, are the perfect breakfast muffin for that reason. You could make these healthier by adding some whole wheat flour in place of some or all of the white flour. You could also use half oil and half applesauce. I, for the most part, stuck to the original recipe.

Ingredients:

1 & 1/4 cups white flour
1 cup quick oats
1 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. baking soda
1/4 teas. salt (I used 1/2 teas)
(I added 1/2 teas. cinnamon in the dry mix)

1/2 cup sugar
2 egg whites ( I used 1 whole egg)
1/2 cup water ( I used 1/2 cup milk)
1/3 cup oil
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries(I used frozen and I mixed them in a little flour first to help keep them from bleeding into the batter)(I also used a little more than 1 cup)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teas. cinnamon

Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt together. Mix sugar, eggs, water and oil together. Mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Add oats and mix. Fold in blueberries. Mix 2 tablespoons of sugar with cinnamon and set aside. Scoop into a greased muffin pan. Fill about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture(I left this part out, but I'm sure it would be delicious)Bake at 400 for 18-22 minutes. Makes about 12 muffins.
 
Pin It

4 comments:

Federica Simoni said...

splendidi questi muffin!! chissà che buoni!

KimberlyQ said...

Looks wonderful. Cant wait to try these, I love blueberries

Just Jenn said...

YUM! I bet you get that word a lot in your comments! hee hee
another 'to bake' recipe! =) Looking forward to baking - this weekend! we love muffins for breakfast too!
Just Jenn~

Amber said...

Thank you Jenn!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails