I'm so glad I found this recipe for sweet potato bread. It was really good and it's packed with vitamins from the sweet potatoes. I also like the addition of flax seed. This would make a perfect fall time bread, but is delicious anytime of year. I made a couple of small changes to the recipe and I also decided to add a glaze to the top of it which added the perfect amount of sweetness.
I found flax seed in the bulk grain section of my store.
- 1/3 cup flaxseed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- (I added 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon)
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened(I used full fat cream cheese)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar(I used 3/4 cup brown sugar and no honey)
- 1/4 cup honey(I decided not to use honey)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon water(after mixing glaze you can add more water a tiny bit at a time, if you want a thinner consistency)
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
PreparationPreheat oven to 350°.
Place flaxseed in a clean coffee grinder or blender; process until coarsely ground. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flaxseed, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Beat cream cheese and the next 5 ingredients (cream cheese through egg white); stir in sweet potato. Add to the flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
Spoon batter into an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.