Thursday, December 17, 2009

Cookie #4 Payday Bars


















One of my favorite candy bars, if not my favorite candy bar is a Payday. I love the combination of sweet and salty. While looking for new recipes to try for this week of cookies/treats, I came across a recipe for payday bars. I never had heard of them, but they sounded really good. I almost completely demolished the bars by burning myself on the hot pan and dropping half of the crust onto my oven door! However, I decided to take the remaining crust from the 9X13 pan, put it in a smaller square pan,  bake it for a few more minutes, and it was saved. I'm so glad, because this turned out to be such a great treat! Oh...and simple...















1st layer/The Crust:

1box yellow cake mix
2/3 c unsalted butter, softened
1 egg

Mix all of the ingredients, press into a slightly greased 9X13 pan. Bake at 350 for 12-18 minutes.(I baked mine for 20-25. Until the edges were golden)

Second Layer:

2 cups of marshmallows

Sprinkle marshmallows over top of crust. Bake for another 5 min.

3rd layer:

1 bag peanut butter chips
2 T. butter
2/3 cup corn syrup
2 cups crispy rice cereal
2 cups salted peanuts

Melt chips, butter and corn syrup in a saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in cereal and peanuts. Poor over base and spread evenly.(I had to press mine around)Cool, cut into squares.



















Recipe from Gooseberry Patch-Old Fashioned Country Christmas Pin It

11 comments:

marvin said...

a yummy version of peanut bar. my friend is looking for this!

Amber said...

Marvin-great! I hope your friend likes them!

Anonymous said...

Do you add the cake mix ingredients also from the back of the box?

Amber said...

Anonymous-no, just mix the dry cake mix with the butter and the egg.:)

Susie @ Hick Chick said...

Heavens! I've gotta try these - paydays have returned to my radar just recently. YUM!

Kate Morgan Jackson said...

MAN these look good! I will definitely be giving them a try. Thank you!

Amber said...

Thank you Susie and Kate!;)

Anonymous said...

Im wondering if all these wonderful cookies can be baked with splenda instead of sugar?

Amber said...

Anonymous-Have you ever tried the Splenda that is for baking? They have white and brown sugar. They do have sugar in them, but it's half as much as regular sugar. I have used those and I think they work really well. I didn't use it this time, but I wouldn't hesitate to try it. If you try it let us know.:)

deborah said...

I made these for a church luncheon and they were the first to go! They were amazing, thank you for sharing!

Amber said...

Deborah-Thank you for letting me know that! I'm so glad they were a hit!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails