Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dark Chocolate Pecan Cake

I have had this recipe for years. It is one of my husband's favorite when he is craving chocolate (which is usually more often than me). I didn't have the unsweetened chocolate bars this time so I had to substitute with the unsweetened chocolate powder and it came out wonderful, maybe even richer. This is a great, chewy, cake that goes perfect with a big cup of milk.
The cake:

  • 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped coarse (you can also use semisweet chocolate chips)
  • 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped coarse (I didn't have the bar so I used 3TBL of unsweetened cocoa powder with 1 TBL veggie oil)
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 2 tablespoons bourbon or dark rum
  • 1 1/2 cups pecans (about 6 ounces)
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup egg whites (from 7 to 8 large eggs)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • confectioners' sugar for dusting

To make:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9- by 2-inch round springform pan and line bottom with a round of parchment paper or foil.
In the microwave melt chocolates and butter, stirring until smooth. Then stir in bourbon or rum (you can use rum extract).
In a food processor pulse pecans with 3/4 cup sugar until finely ground. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in flour.
In another bowl with an electric mixer beat whites with salt at medium speed until white, opaque, and beginning to hold their shape. Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar, beating at high speed until whites hold soft (not stiff), slightly glossy peaks. Stir in pecan mixture with a spatula until well blended and fold in chocolate mixture until no streaks remain (batter will deflate).
Pour batter into pan and smooth top. Bake cake in middle of oven 50 minutes, or until a tester inserted into center comes out clean. Run a thin knife around edge of cake to loosen and invert cake onto a rack to cool completely.
Remove parchment or foil and transfer cake to a platter. Cake may be wrapped in plastic wrap and chilled 1 week or frozen 1 month. Bring cake to room temperature before serving.
Just before serving, dust cake with confectioners' sugar.
Pin It

4 comments:

Tony said...

Seems like a great cake to have on a cold winter day in Minneapolis.

Seizing My Day said...

YUM.... do you think it is heart healthy if I use 70% cocoa chocolate? ;)

KimberlyQ said...

I hear the darker the chocolate the better. It is the butter that is doing the damage. I wonder if you could cut that? It is heavenly though. I would love to know how it turns out with the bittersweet 70%.

Jenn said...

Hi Kimberly ;) I am hoping to make this for a sweet little valentine! If I succeed (finding time to bake!) I will let you know how it turns out! Thanks for becoming a follower! I am actually back to grab your button! ;)
Jenn~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails