Friday, January 29, 2010

Buttery Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

















Oh my!!! This is one of those recipes that when you make it, part of you is super excited to have found a new incredibly delicious recipe and the other part of you is thinking... you've just doomed yourself to having to try and keep yourself from eating multiple pieces of this delicious cake throughout your day. That being said, I'm so glad I found and tried this. It is soooo good and my husband loves it too. I made it for him to have for breakfast, but it is just as good served as a dessert.

Ingredients

CAKE

  • 1 cup butter (no substitutes)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

FILLING

  • 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
  • 1 egg yolk(I just used a whole egg)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

TOPPING

  • 1/4 cup sugar(I used brown sugar)
  • 1/2 cup flour (I used a little more than this, to help make it a little more crumbly)
  • 1/4 cup butter (semi-soft)

Directions:

Set oven to 350 degrees (oven rack set to second-lowest position). Grease a 13 x 9-inch (or an 11 x 7-inch, baking time will need to be increased slightly). Cream butter with sugar (about 3-4 minutes), add in eggs and sour cream; beat well (about another 3 minutes). In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture; beat well until combined (batter will be thick). Spread more than half of the batter in the prepared baking pan.In another bowl, cream together all filling ingredients, then carefully spread over the cake batter. Spoon the remaining cake batter over the top of the cheese mixture (it doesn't have to cover the cake batter completely, I just dot tablespoonfuls over the batter). For the topping (I most always double the ingredients) mix all ingredients, and sprinkle over cake. Bake for about 50-55 minutes or until middle feels set and not jiggly.

Recipe courtesy of kittencal from the recipe zaar website. 

*I did not double the topping ingredients and I thought it was a good amount as is. I made the 11X7 size.

 

I must say that the coffee cake in the coffee cup was my daughter's idea. I thought it was a cute idea.:) 


 


Pin It

10 comments:

Tony said...

One of the best coffee cakes I have ever seen. I will have to try this!

Amber said...

Thank you Pink Panda! It's quite addictive!

KimberlyQ said...

Amber this look wonderful. Wow, cannot wait to try it.

Kristen said...

This sounded awesome, so I made it for my guy friends... was a huge hit! Thanks for sharing!

Amber said...

Kristen, Thank you! I'm so glad they liked it!

Liz from WA said...

I made it a chocolate coffee cake by adding some cocoa and melted chocolate. YUM!!!!

Amber said...

Liz, that sounds great!

Sandy said...

Just made it and wow, sinfully rich. Don't know how I will restrain myself.

Amber said...

Sandy, haha! It is pretty tempting!

Julian Levi said...

Awesome post... I love coffee and cakes too... Thanks for sharing the post. I will definitely try this on weekend. Thanks
coffee beans uk

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails