Sunday, January 3, 2010

Butterscotch Bars

Happy New Years!! Did anyone make a new years resolution?
This year I am hoping to finish my weight loss journey (30 more lbs to go) and yet still enjoy eating. A few years ago I thought about trying Weight Watchers again for the hundredth time and came across this recipe. While I never actually stuck to the plan, I did love these bars enough to keep the recipe. I have changed it up a little depending on what chips I wanted to eat- butterscotch, dark chocolate, peanut butter- and each time they turned out delicious. It is sweet, chewy and low calorie and the dough compliments every chip, especially the butterscotch (well, I haven't tried white chocolate yet).

Butterscotch Bars

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butterscotch morsels (or chip of your choice, adding peanut butter chips will up the protein too)
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350〫

In a large bowl combine dry ingredients and still well to incorporate, set aside

In a large mixing bowl beat sugars and butter until creamy, about 4 minutes. Add egg whites and vanilla; beat well.

Slowly add flour mixture into wet mixture and mix just until blended. Stir in chips.

Spread evenly in an 8" square backing pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until pick comes out clean when inserted into center of bars. Cool completely and cut into 16 servings (this is the catch, they are small but yummy).
Calories 142 (3 points on WW) fat 4.3g protein 1.6 (or 3.2 with peanut butter) carbs 24g fiber 1

Pin It

10 comments:

marvin said...

It is very similar to oatmeal bar here in Baguio Philippines

KimberlyQ said...

Hi Marvin, would you like to share? I would love to try that.

Amber said...

Beautiful! Can't wait to try these. I love butterscotch!

Jj said...

Oh I just love butterscotch but just don't make it enough - this recipe looks great, thanks!

Kathryn said...

I don't like butterscotch, but I must say those look delicious! :)

Angie said...

Does the recipe really say 1/2 cup of baking powder?

KimberlyQ said...

Oh no Angie I am sorry. It is tsp. Thank you for catching that.

Angie said...

You're welcome! I was writing down the recipe, and that amount just didn't seem right. I made them for my friends, and they love it! Thanks for the easy and delicious recipe :)

mnoller said...

I grabbed your recipe and made them this morning. They were pretty great! Check them out: http://eatyourtartout.wordpress.com/ Thanks again!

Megan said...

I grabbed this recipe and made these this morning. They were great! Check my extra butterscotch version out: http://eatyourtartout.wordpress.com/ Thanks again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails