Tuesday, November 3, 2009

How should I cook that meat again?

I know that beef is one of those proteins that people either love or hate (or love to hate). In my case, I enjoy a beautiful piece of steak, seasoned with just a little salt and pepper, cooked just this side of mooing. But growing up we really didn't eat that much red meat, instead we were enticed nightly to the table by a dried piece of overcooked chicken, no skin*, with just a little salt and pepper (enough salt to dry it out just slightly more than the 1 hour in the oven could). It was so sad, but then again we ate out of a fully functioning garden and milked goats for our daily dose of Vitamin D and Calcium, so the dry chicken with at least something that was purchased at the store where, what I thought at the time, normal people bought food. In my mom's defense (and so I don't sound like an ungrateful spoiled child) she fed us very well, she cared about our health before it was the "in" thing to do and I think we all benefited from it. I know that I had the healthiest heart in my 10th grade class.
What were we talking about??
Oh, so I was at the store today where I purchase my veggies, fruit, and milk and I got the greatest little thing I thought I should share with those who love their beef as I do. When steak goes on sale I always have to call my sister-in-law to find out if the steak special will need to be marinaded for a week before I can eat it or if I can just buy it and throw it on the grill. Well today I got a guild that tells me just that.
The following are cuts of beef and the best way to cook them.
Grilling

Ribeye Steak bone-in or boneless
NY Strip Steak bone in or boneless
Ball Tip Steak/Petite Sirloin Steak
Tri-Tip Steak
Porterhouse Steak
T-Bone Steak
Top Sirloin
Tenderloin Steak

Pan Cooking
Chuck Eye Steak
Shoulder Petite Tender Medallions
Flank steak (marinade first for best results)
Sirloin Roast
Cube Steak
Beef Cubes
Skirt Steak
Bottom Round Steak
Eye of Round Steak
Round Steak
Round Tip Steak
Sirloin Tip Steak
Top Round Steak
Chuck Shoulder Blade Steak
Flat Iron Steak
Sandwich Steak (what is this?)


Oven Roasting
Boneless Ribeye Roast
Bone-in Rib Roast
Bottom Round Roast
Boneless Rump Roast
Eye of Round Roast
Tip Roast
Sirloin Tip Roast
Top Round Roast
Tenderloin Butt Roast
Ball Tip Roast/Petite Sirloin Roast
Tenderloin Roast
Top Loin Roast
Boneless Top Sirloin Roast
Tri-Tip Roast


Slow Cooking
Brisket
7 Bone Pot Roast
Chuck Arm Roast
Chuck Cross Rib Roast
Chuck Pot Roast
Chuck Eye Roast
Chuck Shoulder Blade Steak
Chuck Mock Tender Roast
Chuck Top Blade Roast
Beef Shank
Stew Beef
Bottom Round Roast
Round Sirloin Tip Steak
Boneless Round Sirloin Tip Roast
Boneless Rump Roast
Beef Round Sirloin Tip Roast
Chuck Shoulder Roast
Short Ribs


* Ok, sometimes we got the skin.

Pin It

3 comments:

Desiree's Designs said...

Ok, this is the mom, and in my defense I felt I needed to clarify the cloudy memory of an overly induldged child. I did not over cook the chicken, we did have it alot but it was cooked to perfection. They were just tired of eating it. Let me clear up the no beef issue too! We raised 3 steers while the kids were growing up. Each time we put one in the freezer it would last over a year since it was almost 1,000 lbs of beef. We not only had steak but we had roast, corned beef, ground beef, strip steaks, filets you name it we had it, we used it all. As you got a bit older, like high school, the red meat being bad for you took off and I cut back and didnt raise beef anymore but we still ate it. We also raised pigs for pork, any memory on that? LOL Uggghhh! Just wait your kids too will have these warped memories and spread the lies. By that time they may be sharing the lies on other planets!

Amber said...

lol! You both are making me laugh!

KimberlyQ said...

mom, ok stop reading my blog now. Love you

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails