Tuesday, October 27, 2009

PB Banana Oatmeal Cookies or ROTW


As a novice baker I know the rules of baking- read the directions through before starting, make sure you have everything on hand, measure, and follow the rules as they are written (is it 1 cup of chopped nuts or 1 cup of nuts, chopped). Making these cookies I broke every rule. So when I got through adding the ingredients from the recipe to my mixing bowl I realized that there was no peanut butter in my Peanut Butter Banana cookies. Hmmmm how did I miss such an important ingredient? I now was looking at Oatmeal cookies with no Peanut butter and then I realized, hidden on page two of the ingredients list was 3/4 cups of peanut butter chips... darn, I don't have those on hand. Well I did what any self-respecting cook would do, I improvised with what I did have on hand- natural, sugar free, peanut butter (you know the kind that has oil on top that you have to mix in before you can make your child's sandwich). I proceeded to add 2 TBL of PB to the mixture, after the flour, after the oats, after, well everything. It actually tasted alright, RAW. But it was horrible cooked. It was gummy, chalky and somehow tasted like I imagine the inside of shoe soles to taste. So I was off to the store for the actual ingredients to this recipe. I made it perfect, there were no mistakes, I read and reread those instructions and yet it still seems like it is missing something. It tastes like dense banana bread, not a bad taste but not what I am used to in an oatmeal cookie. As usual, it is sweet and tastes like bananas, so the kids loved them. Rachel, my 1 year old, ate two in one day and because the recipe is full of good for you ingredients including vitamins and oats I think I might just keep this recipe to make again. Next time I might try making it with I Can't Believe it's Not Butter cooking sticks and Splenda, I mean if it tastes a little like good for you food I may as well make it even better for my family. Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails