I have never made meatball sandwiches before, but decided to give it a try this week. I found a great recipe for meatballs at recipezaar.com. I put them in toasted sourdough buns with provolone cheese melted on the top of the meatballs. Mmmm...they were sooo good.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (a mixture of 1 pound ground beef and 1/2 pound ground pork will work well also)
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs (or use enough to hold the meat together)
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or use 1 teaspoon garlic powder or to taste)
- 1-2 teaspoon salt (or to taste, I use 2 teaspoons seasoned salt)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup milk (can use up to 1/2 cup milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- favorite spaghetti sauce(1 jar)
- Mix all ingredients(except sauce) together in a large bowl.
- Shape into small meatballs (at this point you can place on a jelly-roll/baking sheet and freeze to use later, or cover with plastic wrap refrigerate up to 24 hours before using).
- Drop the meatballs into simmering pasta sauce, do not stir for at least 20 minutes or you will risk breaking the meatballs.
- Continue cooking in the simmering sauce for another 20 minutes (depending on how fast your sauce is simmering 40 minutes total should fully cook the meatballs).
- After the 40 minutes cooking time continue cooking your sauce with the meatballs in for as long as desired.
- **note** you may also bake the meatballs at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until cooked through.