Sunday, March 21, 2010

Lemon Rice with Pine Nuts



I made a great citrus marinade for my Mahi Mahi tonight and wanted to bring the flavors through the entire dish. I looked for a lemon rice recipe and couldn't find one that had ingredients that I already had on hand and/or that my family would eat so I took it upon myself to create one. I served this with charred roman lettuce (from the bbq) with citrus vinaigrette and tomatoes. The meal was a winner and I wanted to share it with you. Enjoy.


Lemon Rice
2 TBL extra-virgin olive oil
2-3 gloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup pine nuts
long strips of zest cut from one lemon (take your time and don't get the white part or you will have a bitter flavored rice)
2 cups of white rice (or my favorite is jasmine rice)
4 1/4 cups water
3 cubes chicken bullion cubes or 3 TBL of chicken flavored bullion powder (you can use 4 cups of chicken stock/chicken broth from the can instead of cubes and water
1/2 tsp dried thyme or 1 TBL fresh
salt and pepper to taste

In large saucepan with cover, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and pine nuts, cook for 1 min or until pine nuts start to slightly brown. Add Rice and cook for one min longer. Add water, bullion, thyme, and lemon zest strips. Bring to a boil, lower heat to low and simmer until all liquid is gone and rice is soft about 10-15 minutes. Fluff with fork and remove lemon zest strips before you serve.



Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails