By far, this is my husband's favorite recipe out of everything I make. I found this recipe out of the book "More Top Secret Recipes" (you can also find it here). These really do taste just like a Cinnabon cinnamon roll to me. And, you can make 12 rolls for almost the cost of one at the mall!
I use butter in place of the margarine.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/3 cup margarine, softened
- 8 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- For the rolls, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl.
- Add sugar, margarine salt, eggs, and flour, mix well.
- Knead the dough into a large ball, using your hands dusted lightly with flour.
- Put in a bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface, until it is approx 21 inches long by 16 inches wide.
- It should be approx 1/4 thick.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To make filling, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Spread the softened margarine over the surface of the dough, then sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon evenly over the surface.
- Working carefully, from the long edge, roll the dough down to the bottom edge.
- Cut the dough into 1 3/4 inch slices, and place in a lightly greased baking pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden brown.
- While the rolls are baking combine the icing ingredients.
- Beat well with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- When the rolls are done, spread generously with icing.