I love making homemade bread. I always make my dough in my bread maker first, then bake it in the oven. The recipe I found on Food.com was so easy! It is now my go to Italian bread recipe. The only thing I might do differently next time, is add a bit more salt.
- 1 cup water, warmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 whole egg whites
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal (I didn't use)
- Add into bread machine container, warmed water, olive oil, sugar, yeast. Let yeast foam a bit.
- Dump in flour (start with 2 1/2 cups); add salt on top of flour.
- Turn on bread machine to dough setting. Watch for the first bit and add flour as needed to get a good dough. (elastic and not sticky).
- Get cookie sheet ready by lightly oiling with olive oil and sprinkle on cornmeal.
- Form dough into loaf and set on cookie sheet with tea towel to cover until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Cut slits diagonally in loaf with sharp knife. Brush with egg white.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and when you knock the bottom of bread it sounds hollow.